Maya fought back from an ACL injury and scored in the Gothia Cup
Maya Shinaman made an incredible comeback in the Gothia Cup.
The American talent Maya Shinaman suffered a severe knee injury in late April last year. Her main goal was to come back in time to play for her G15 team California Magic in the Gothia Cup 2022. She succeeded and even scored. This is her inspiring story.
Maya Shinaman tore her ACL and MCL during a collision on April 30, 2021.
– I was very surprised when I heard the news and it really upset me. I knew I was going to be out of football for a while and I knew it was going to be hard to not do something that was so important to me. Football is a very important part of who I am and it was hard losing that part of me for a while, says the teenager.
After surgery on June 11, she set up a goal for herself to get back to the field in time for the Gothia Cup 2022.
– I had been dreaming of going to the Gothia Cup with my club team since I joined California Magic. During my injury, I couldn’t play contact football and I still went to training and supported my team. It was very hard to watch but it motivated me to work harder and get my strength back. My teammates, coaches, and family were incredibly supportive and I will forever be thankful, says Maya Shinaman.
The journey from surgery to the Gothia Cup 2022 was tougher than she could have ever predicted.
– The end made everything worth it. I had my ups and downs during this time but I managed to work hard every day to get my strength back. I worked with a physical therapist five days a week for over a year. Setting the goal for myself really helped me get through the hard times. Throughout the pain she envisioned herself getting back on the field, doing what she loves.
– Coming back in Sweden after 15 months was a crazy experience. Before my first game I was nervous and anxious but I remembered I had been waiting for this moment since the injury happened. I feel so proud of myself that I managed to play six games in five days and even get my first goal after the injury, she says.
She will never ever forget the tournament in Gothenburg.
– I had the most amazing time bonding with my teammates and teams from other’s countries. We met teams from all corners of the world. It was so amazing seeing everyone together no matter where they were from. The opening ceremony at the Gothia Cup was incredible and I will never forget it, says Maya Shinaman.
The California Magic coach Haris Obic is impressed by the talented girl.
– She worked diligently and was committed to her goal. Her first full contact game since April 2021 was our opening game at the Gothia Cup! She was excited and we are all super proud of her! Having that goal made her committed to her process in road to recovery, says Haris Obic.